County Wexford Chamber CEO
Job Description and Person Specification
County Wexford Chamber (CWC) is a new dynamic union of Wexford, Gorey and New Ross Chambers of Commerce. As one of the largest regional chambers in Ireland, CWC aims to be recognised as the leading advocate for County Wexford’s business community, delivering a professional and innovative service to multi-nationals, large companies and SMEs amongst a potential overall membership of 450.
We are now seeking a CEO to lead and develop County Wexford Chamber in strengthening our business links throughout the county and in championing all aspects of our economy.
Reporting to the CWC President and Board of Directors the CEO will:
1. Ensure Best Governance and Compliance Practices
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to formulate and deliver on the Chamber’s mission, vision and strategic objectives.
- Report to the Board on the business of the Chamber (including periodic reports on performance against the annual business plan, budgeted projections versus actuals and KPI Dashboard) and highlight any issues or concerns in a timely manner.
- In consultation with the CWC President, develop Board meeting agendas, prepare Board papers and advise the Board on all matters under consideration.
- Ensure that the CWC Board of Directors is advised of and complies with all good governance practices.
- Ensure compliance with taxation, company law, employment law, Lobbying and other relevant legislation.
2. Manage the Day-to-Day Operation
- Carry out the business of the Chamber efficiently and effectively in line with the expectations of the Board and the membership.
- Represent the Chamber in a professional manner and seek to advocate for and protect the Chamber’s interests.
- Attract new members and maintain the existing membership base.
- Safeguard the Chamber’s assets and deliver on the strategic objectives and key performance measures as set out in the Chamber’s business plan.
- Provide leadership and direction to Chamber staff and volunteers and manage the delivery of Chamber projects, events and initiatives to showcase Wexford business and to serve the needs of the membership.
- Manage the Chamber finances and ensure best-practice financial controls are in place. Manage the year-end audit process.
- Manage existing revenue streams and identify and develop new revenue streams and opportunities for sponsorship and grant aid.
- Serve on appropriate boards and committees and attend and participate in relevant events with a view to strengthening CWC’s influence and presence in the community.
3. Lead the Chamber Team
- Lead, manage, motivate, appraise and develop the Chamber staff, encouraging a culture of openness to change in pursuit of an innovative service to Chamber membership and in response to the changing business environment.
- Develop a strong Chamber network ensuring services are delivered to the highest possible standard and that professionalism and a positive, willing attitude are the hallmarks of CWC’s service to its membership.
- Act as a resource to District Committees and Chamber volunteers, providing guidance and promoting a collaborative CWC way of working in the interests of the growth and development of business in Wexford County.
- Develop and implement human resources policies, procedures and practices for staff and volunteers and provide relevant staff training to ensure familiarisation and compliance with these policies.
4. Enhance Chamber Relations
- Build and manage relationships with CWC’s key stakeholders and act as a point of contact for key sponsors and strategic partners.
- Enhance the profile of the Chamber by ensuring a professional, effective and highly visible presence online, on social media platforms, in local media and with current and prospective members.
- Lobby and advocate on behalf of Chamber membership, increasing the Chamber’s status and influence through consistent championing of Wexford’s business skills and capabilities.
- Liaise with Chambers Ireland stakeholders such as Local Authorities, Wexford Local Development, Enterprise Ireland, The IDA, and other Chambers to consistently implement best Chamber practice.
- Work flexible hours (evenings and weekends) as determined by the Chamber Board of Directors and as driven by the Chamber schedule of events.
Undertake any other reasonable duties and tasks within the scope of the role, as directed by the Chamber Board of Directors from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
To be shortlisted for interview you must clearly demonstrate in your CV and covering letter how you meet the following criteria:
- At least five years’ management experience in corporate business, SME or local development sectors.
- A third level business-related qualification.
- Knowledge of industry trends and of Wexford County, its businesses and its strategic challenges.
- Experience of reporting to or working with a voluntary board of directors.
- Strong financial management and analytical skills.
- A proven track record of effective team management and results-driven leadership.
- A flexible, reliable approach and a professional work ethic.
- The networking skills to form and maintain effective working relationships with a range of stakeholders, interest groups and agencies.
- The communication skills necessary to handle written, presentation, interpersonal and media assignments in a consistently professional way and to be the public face of the Chamber and the voice of Wexford business.
- A strong commercial focus coupled with the ability to recognise and generate new opportunities and influence and advocate on behalf of the Chamber membership.
- Sound judgement and decision-making ability.
- An organised approach which ensures the delivery of a consistently high standard of work within the required time-frames.
- Excellent computer skills, including email and MS Office Suite.
Key Performance Measures
- The quality and accuracy of reports and supports to the Board of Directors
- The maintenance and growth of the membership base
- The quality and range of services provided to the membership
- The maintenance and development of revenue streams for CWC
- The quality of leadership and the level of productive engagement with stakeholders
Terms and Conditions of Employment
Location: Based in Wexford Town with duties and assignments throughout Wexford County.
Salary: circa €60,000 – €80,000 commensurate with experience.
Contract Type: Permanent
Probation: A probationary period of six months will apply.
Transport: the post-holder must have a full current driving licence and access to a car insured for business purposes.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 15th November 2019
Please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Short listing of candidates will be undertaken by reviewing applications against the criteria outlined in the above Job Specification
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to and must be available to attend an interview which will take place in Wexford town. A second round of interviews may also be required.
County Wexford Chamber is an equal opportunities employer.